The Library

The decoration of this room is a recreation of the furnishing styles of the mid to late nineteenth century when major renovations of the castle interiors were carried out. Rich fabrics are used throughout to recreate opulent, period interiors where the walls are covered in specially woven French silk poplin, as revealed by a remnant found behind a skirting board, based on the original pattern made by the famous firm of Prelle of Lyons. Garnet-red curtains of heavy quality silk damask in a pomegranate pattern made by the same firm are hung below original and matching reproduction pelmets, all gilded in gold leaf. An original glazed bookcase in mahogany stands in the corner; from this others have been carefully reproduced in the same fine wood. A large mirror over the mantelpiece has also been carefully restored and re-gilded. The Berber-style floor carpets are based on patterns adapted from Izmir motifs and these were specially woven by the firm of Woodward Grosvenor who had produced the originals.

Some of the paintings in the room are from the Ormonde collection and a number of appropriate portraits were also purchased to replace those that were sold from the castle during the 1935 sale.
The Library